Sunday, October 24, 2010

Gee's Bend Play

I went and saw the play "Gee's Bend" last night. While the play is not necessarily about the quilting/quilts themselves, it's a very large integral part of the play. I actually really liked the play and think the way they approached the quilt making was perfect.

The quilts for them were just a part of life. You needed them to keep warm. Often times they relied on them solely, for staying warm at night. I've no doubt that women that could make quilts were valuable wives/mothers, as it was a necessity as store bought quilts were not an option for them due to finances. (Lack of!)
  • I cried often during the play (to be fair, I am an easy crier. I cry when sad AND when happy!) Here is a disjointed list of thoughts I had during/after the play:
  • I need to be thankful for the women and men who broke their backs working cotton fields (this is discussed as family history in the play.)
  • I am very fortunate to be able to make art quilts, that I have so much fabric and materials that are available to me. I do not have to scrimp and save scraps from clothes to "save up" to stitch a quilt!
  • I am humbled by the fact that the Gee's Bend women (and no undoubtedly elsewhere too) were given something none of the women there had before - financial freedom. They may not have made a ton, but most saw more money for their quilts than they had ever made. And it was THEIR money.
  • There is a message in the play about locked doors versus an open door - this message has stuck with me now, and it's meaning is deeper than you first realize.
  • Lastly, I would see it again!
I highly recommend this play if it comes to your area! The music in it is amazine as well, the women works gospel and praise songs into conversations and housework. Beautiful!

1 comment:

  1. I will keep an eye open, but I'm not sure if it will ever come to TO. but you never know as we have lots of small theaters and experimental groups.

    ReplyDelete