Friday, August 19, 2011

Letting Go



One of the pitfalls of being a fiber artist seems to be trying a wide variety surface design techniques. While this is a good thing for growth, it is not necessarily good for the serenity of the studio. It tends to produce a good deal of clutter.

The realization of the need to start getting rid of things from my studio, is a good indicator as my growth as an artist. I am starting to see my preferences in my medium. One of those is that I prefer to work almost exclusively with batiks and/or hand dyed fabrics. This means an uncomfortable choice to pare down my commercial prints fabrics a great deal.

I have been in our "new home" for a year and a half now. I have learned I am much more productive when my studio is in our home. I have spent a lot of hours in the studio, and that has always helped me start realizing changes I need to make in my organization,

There are things I put on prime shelf space, that I rarely use, like my upholstery sample pieces. While I do use them, and do not wish to get ride of them, I now know that I need to tub them and put them above the shelves, and utilize the shelve space for things I use often.

There are things that I have "collected" in too great of numbers that I will reduce as well. Things like markers, crayons, and pens.

It's a hard process, but I am finding it completely necessary right now. My personality has grown and changed over the past few years, and this new personality does not feel as creative in the midst of clutter!

No comments:

Post a Comment