Wednesday, May 1, 2013

My Shit, Your Shit: A Lesson in Passive Aggressiveness

A quick note about the previous post...

An amazing day for The Fiber Nation!

I'm floored by the overwhelming reaction to yesterdays post. I had no idea there were so many quilter's and fiber artists out there that feel the same I do about the stuffiness of the the traditional quilting world. (I'm also impressed that no one freaked out on me assuming I meant ALL traditional quilters and guilds are oppressive.) 

I'm humbled that I shared some of who I really am, and was not rejected but rather embraced by an online community that's floating out here on the internets. I've been writing for quite some time now, and I have never had a post generate so much buzz. It goes to show that it pays to be yourself! Thank you, thank you, thank you for all of the comments. And also bigs thanks to Melanie Testa, and Bad Ass Quilters Society who shared my post with their readers.


My Shit, Your Shit: A Lesson in Passive Aggressiveness

I'm getting on my soap box again to bitch about something I see a lot in this "biz". As a community, quilters seem to share what they are working on with others quite a bit. This is a wonderful thing to do, at the same time it sometimes ends in accusations of stealing/copying/mimicking. Everyone is worried about copyrighting this, trademarking that. People get sued for using fabrics of licensed designers. I read one story where a hotel used the image of someone's quilt and had carpeting made for the hotel from that image.

Let me tell you about some of my experiences that I have experienced or witnessed first hand.

Situation 1:
I once was asked to do a lecture on a specific topic. I shared the experience with another woman, and I suggested to her that she do the lecture. I suggested we maybe give it together. She kept saying no, so I conceded and agreed to do the lecture. I spent hours taking photos, and putting together an overhead presentation. I gave the lecture - free of charge. I was then asked by another quilting group to give the lecture, I agreed and was paid. That's where the situation changed. Before I was giving my experience away, and now I received payment. Suddenly the "other woman" was not "comfortable" with my giving the lecture. This, even though I mentioned her in the lecture, that she was the one who had worked with me, where her website was, and that they should contact her, blah, blah, blah. Not once did I take all credit for the process we had gone through.

I stopped giving that lecture. Guess what? She's now giving the lecture on that very topic. Albeit it will be HER account of the experience with it, it still pisses me off. Why didn't she agree to do it in the first place or agree to do it with me? If I'd kept doing the lecture for free, would she have been fine?

Situation 2:
A woman I know writes mystery patterns. She was one of the first to start writing them. It's kinda what she is known for.

I took her to a guild meeting, there was a speaker we wanted to see. Someone shared a quilt that they had made from a recent retreat mystery pattern by a guild member. It was nearly dead on the first woman's pattern. I believe the conversation revealed that the pattern was different because "x" part was a "different size". *insert eye roll here*

Situation 3.
There are two women. Woman1 and Woman2. Woman1 is working on a quilt and is at a loss for what to do. She keeps asking Woman2 what she thinks, and every time Woman2 suggests something, Woman1 does it on her piece. Bit by bit. At the end of the process, Woman2 and suggested the vast majority of the ideas for the quilt. Woman1 never says thank you, and never mentions to anyone that this quilt was by all accounts a collaborative effort at this point.

Journal page - Inspired by the work of Susan Shie 
The basic commonality of these situations to me, is the passive aggressive nature in which women tend to deal with things. It drives me up the fucking wall to be honest. Say what you mean, and mean what you say. Here's my run down on how things went wrong:

Situation 1.
If you didn't want me to do the damn lecture, then fucking say so to begin with. Don't say no to YOU doing it and tell me to go ahead and do it, then become "uncomfortable" later on when I actually start getting paid for the time and effort I put in to putting together a lecture. And honestly, once that happened, you should have negated yourself from YOU doing the lecture and getting paid for it. (Particularly since quilt circles aren't that large and you KNOW I'm going to know about it.)

Situation 2.
Passive aggressive shows up again here. The "other" pattern designer claims that it's different because it's a different "size". Really?? This now puts the original designer in the position of "Bitch" if she wants to push that it really is her design. And, changing the size of something doesn't make it YOURS.

Situation 3.
The passive aggressive nature is a little more insidious here. It lies in the fact that Woman1 didn't really know what she wanted to do, and didn't want to make the decisions in case it "ruined" the piece. So she asked for an "opinion" on what to do next. Over and over again. Passively - she didn't want to make the choices and come up with ideas, and Aggressively she then went on to take complete credit for the whole piece.

From now on, I'm thinking about having a label made up called "My Shit". That way there is no mistake about it. If it has that sticker, it's "My Shit", if it doesn't, then it's "Your Shit".
As a community we need to still be able to share our work with each other for encouragement, critiques, etc. We need to be able to help each other out with ideas, but not expect the other person to essentially complete the project for us. And if we need that much help, then the project becomes collaborative and we give credit where it's due.

I'm all for sharing work, ideas, opinions, etc. But I'm also all for sharing the credit as a result. As a community we need to hammer out the ethics involved in being an art community. Until those conversations start happening, and boundaries start getting set, I will be picky and choosy what works I share with the world, and who I help and give advice to. I'm very picky and careful about who I will collaborate with as well now.

What about you? Have you experience the passive aggressive boundary issues in the quilt and fiber art world? IS is a predominantly female issue?

This is where I usually write.


16 comments:

  1. Honestly, I have probably committed a crime in this area at some point in time. Not because I deliberately try to steal ideas, patterns, color choices etc. In fact for the most part I work at trying to give credit where it is due, It is very hard to keep it all sorted out when for the most part it is ambiguous to begin with. I agree with you, there is a lot of hostility surrounding this issue in the fiber art community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet, I don't think you are to be reprimanded for a once in awhile slip. I think Steph is talking about those who do this on a regular basis. I've had lots of experience with a quilter who was contstantly asking what to do here, how to do this, what do you think of this, how would you change or do that, etc. etc. etc. Then when she finally unveils the quilt and clearly used all or most of my ideas, she doesn't give credit one for the help I gave her and lets everyone ooh and ahh over "HER" creativity. Being the passive aggressive that I am, I say nothing and then go home feeling like crap knowing that the work everyone loved was mostly mine and they don't even know it. It's even worse when this same person acknowledges others who have helped her with something but not me.

      Delete
    2. This is why I shouldn't ever respond to posts. I never am able to state what I mean. I in no way intended to say that I felt Stephanie was overstating this problem. It is a problem, I see it too.

      Delete
    3. No worries Janet - I didn't pick up on any hostility there - on either comment! :) And of course you should respond to posts - that's half the happiness of a blog, right? And I understood what you meant - everyone reads things differently.

      Delete
  2. Hats off to you for voicing your frustrations! I totally know where you are coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not only the quilting world where passive-aggressiveness happens. Teachers are notorious for this... at least, those who are very ambitious. I used to take post-grad classes with one of those women. We were assigned to work jointly on some projects, and I agreed to do all the foundation work. Of course, that led to doing more and more, until I'd actually done 90% of the work. The other person offered suggestions on how to improve a few things (she never wanted less than an 'A' on anything, preferably an 'A+'), but did not do any of the modifications. Again, not wanting any confrontations, I made the changes. I can totally understand where you're coming from, and think your analyses are quite accurate.
    I'm very happy being retired, and enjoying my life. HUGS to you, Steph. EL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Passive/aggressive behavior is not gender specific or topic specific. Otherwise there would not be such a category in my profession (psychology). Keep you chin up. Life is a jouney.8-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I so get it! I was asked to do binding on a scalloped king sized raffle quilt by a guild. The board met and decided to pay the quilter and the binder. When the raffle committee found out I was paid (they would have done it for free, I took food out of the mouths of the children by being paid....not the quilter mind you, etc. etc.) 2 board meetings later they brought up keeping out almost $450.00 from the funds generated by the raffle quilt to fund a different issue. Who is taking money out of the mouths of children? They were voted down. Needless to say I don't belong to that guild anymore, or actually any guild. We are not alone on this journey. We are just finding our voice.Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm finding this discussion fascinating--you, Melly, others stepping up to share your viewpoints. Gives me hope that the quilting world isn't totally dominated by old ladies. :-)

    Not that there's anything wrong with old ladies. I might be there already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old lady quiltering is a state of mind not an age. I've run into ladies, much older than I, who truly appreciate and respect non-traditional quilts of any form. Likewise, I've run into to some twenty something ladies who are as rigid and conformist about their modern quilts as any ancient queen bee quilter. It is the attitude not the age or skill level.

      Delete
  7. I should also have said that your graph at the start of the post cracks me up. Nothing like a few bad words to boost traffic. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Anonymous" was so right in pointing out that this is not only in the quilting world. My husband was on the board of directors for a transplant organization (basically a medical quild). After many years he had to call it quits because it got just too political - the needs of the patient were not the priority.
    Just continue to hang on to your ethics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read this today and you are so right, but now I think after quilting since 1993 and teaching, I am tired of these women and in the end I am sick of quilting and it finally dawned on me that when many quilter say they are the nicest people it isn't true. Many are angry bitter women. I imagine even among the top teachers and authors so much competition. Social media has help to bring out the true nature of a lot of women especially now that President Trump is in office. At least they are dumb enough to wear pink to show their true colors.
    Thanks for the article, it only took me 25 years to figure it out I went to my first guild meeting in 1992, I was surprised at all the fight. I just don't fit into the quilter mold or playbox. Live and learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm one of those pink hat wearers, so I think you missed my point by about 10 light years. Also, this is my old blog.

      #pussyhats

      Delete
    2. I must have, I don't remember reading about 10 light years.
      I have two questions.
      Why do some Bloggers have more then one blog, and then leave an one they don't use still up.
      You seem to do a lot of computer work and also wear glasses, so do I but my eyesight seems to be getting worse, and really dry, I am older too. It's to the point if I look at the screen for 15 minutes my eyes are blurred for the rest of the day.
      Thanks for your response.

      Delete

  10. Because the passive-aggressive person inherently believes they are blameless, innocent, and basically good people, anything that threatens that view of themselves threatens the very core of their being. They live in a world where they must conceal all the "awful" things about themselves at all costs.

    Yet

    ReplyDelete