Friday, May 10, 2013

Poetry in Freemotion

I mentioned the other day that I am doing quilt block interpretations of the poems in "A Light in the Attic". I've decided to call this project "Poetry in Freemotion!" I'm only three poems in, but so far I am enjoying the process and am anxious to watch my drawing skills grow as I continue through the poems. I am not sketching these out first, I am just reading the poem, then grabbing my Pentel Gel Roller for Fabric and putting pen to fabric. The drawings currently are taking me about five-10 minutes to draw and 5-10 to color, depending on how much color I add.

Here are the first three:









I've never really been a poetry reader (though I used to write poetry often when I was younger), so I am thankful to finally have a connection to help me appreciate poetry.

If you decide to join in on "Poetry in Freemotion", I'd love to see what your interpretations are! Even if you don't want to commit to a whole book, why not just choose one poem you've always admired and interpret that?


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. I want to do this, too, using my own poetry collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely not an artist, nor truly a poetry buff, but I do like Shel Silverstein and can appreciate the artistic endeavors of others like you, dear Steph. I'm going to share this post with my quilter friend Jackie. Love ya'! EL

    ReplyDelete