Thursday, February 27, 2014

Seriously. Mind Your Own Damn Business!

I have had some continuing thoughts on the minding your own business aspect of being an artist. I will admit something to you now. I have often times, found myself feeling my work was being “threatened” because another fiber artist was moving into a similar technique or medium. I tend to physical tense up, feel defensive and think “Great, now that so-and-so is doing it, why should I even bother?”

I experienced that feeling this morning, so I tried to pull immediately from things I’ve learned in Art&Fear. I came back yet again to minding my own damn business. So what if someone is using a similar technique, or even the SAME technique. It’s really none of my business. Even if we used the exact same project ingredients, our pieces will be completely different. (Keep in mind, I am not referring to instances of someone copying me here, that’s a whole other subject and not what I’m talking about.)
Took a picture of the kaleidoscope outside the Lowell Observatory back in January

What struck me today, was how ridiculous it would be if an oil painter saw another painter using oils and got upset and twitter pated. I mean, no one has the monopoly on oil paints, right? Or watercolors, or acrylics… So why would any of the mediums that can be used in conjunction with textiles be “owned” by anyone. 
At the Lowell Observatory

If I spend my time worrying about what someone else is doing with the medium, then I’m not being very productive and perfecting my craft/skills am I?


So, here’s to another lesson in minding your own damn business! 

No comments:

Post a Comment