Thursday, December 2, 2010

Quilting and Weight Loss

I feel bad, I know I haven't been posting as much as I should be. I am in the depths of trying to lose weight, and honestly it takes more time and more out of me than I would like for it to. I'm trying to get used to eating less, and move a LOT more. I'm cranky a lot. Cranky and posting do not go well together. I certainly do not want every post I put up to be negative and whiny!

For the most part, I feel REALLY good! I have dropped two pant sizes, though due to weight training four times a week my weight has not changed all that much. I spend around an hour and a half at the gym 4-6 times a week. The working out hasn't been an issue for me, just the cutting back on food and trying to eat healthier.

With a sedentary career (for the most part) as a quilter/fiber artist, I feel like I need to find a way to make my studio time more physical some how. I've yet to figure out how yet! Have any of you found ways to increase to daily steps while still getting your quilting and creative time at the same time?

I have been knitting though! I've been making up slippers from my favorite pattern - they are super easy and fairly quick. (Even for a slow beginner knitter!)
This afternoon I will find myself back in the studio - come hell or high water! (Isn't that an odd phrase?) I have a gift to make, and a studio that needs straightening up. And encouraged by the article that Quilting Arts accepted, I have some more ideas I would like to organize and submit!

What are you up to?

5 comments:

  1. Stephanie, I found that a pedometer helped me (a bit) For instance....I needed 10,000++ steps a day at least .Even if a took a 1 1/2 hour dance class ( which I was doing 3/4 times a week and loved), and was active up and down stairs, loading van etc I still needed more. A 10 min walk to the bank perhaps, or a brisk walk around the block....just that little bit extra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go with the magazine article! And to think I knew you when. For more exercise, you could put your ironing board in another room. But when I did that, all that got more exercise was my fingers, from the increased amount of finger pressing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos to anyone who takes on dieting at this time of year. Two pants size is a win. Remember, muscle weighs more than fat. I think you're doing a great job. Keep up the good work and keep busy so you don't think about it. Hugs, Carolyn in Kerrville, TX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic weight loss news, Stephanie. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the weight loss! Great job! And those slippers are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete