Thursday, January 3, 2013

Working Things Out

I'm still dealing (though better) with the passing of my sweet little Mitzie Lee. After returning from New York, and meeting Melanie Testa, Teri Lucas and Victoria Findlay Wolfe I have been taking a break from fiber art. Don't worry, I'm not giving it up!

It turns out I may be doing a book in the coming months, and I did not want to overwhelm myself with a new series or project. I knew that I would need some sort of creative outlet other than fiber art - to get me through the book writing. Huge thanks to Melanie for turning me on to watercolor.

I had tried watercolor several times in the past and resisted it due to it's uncontrollable nature, and my inherent desire to be able to control everything. But the passing of Mitzie after an unexpected illness (she seemed perfectly healthy when she was diagnosed), as well as other not so pleasant things cropping up in our lives around here, it's somewhat comforting to take the risk of doing watercolors - where I can't control much but most things turn out okay in the end.

In fact, I was just hired to do a portrait of a family's dog. I'll share in order the progression of my pieces so far.




















Sometimes we need to step out of the comfort zone of our "regular" medium and try something new.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment